LARGO AREA COMMUNITY COUNCIL
LARGO AREA COMMUNITY COUNCIL
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2017
CHAIRMAN'S ANNUAL REPORT 2016/2017
CHAIRMAN: PETER M AITKEN
A. LUNDIN LINKS LIBRARY
1. The Community Council supported the Library and Community Hub during the year.
2. Our Secretary in particular contributed a great deal of time and energy in supporting the project.
3. Numerous volunteers have given their time and energy to the project.
4. A Race Night was held in the Old Manor Hotel which raised a substantial sum of money for the new library and community hub.
5. The year culminated with the leasing and opening of the new library and community hub.
6. Thanks are due to our Secretary, Stephen Wood for all of his hard work on this project.
B. LUNDIN LINKS HOTEL
1. An amended Planning Consent was granted during the year for the development of retirement flats.
2. Additional parking is to be provided in accordance with the request of the community.
3. A fire broke out in the building due to squatters but was brought under control saving the building.
4. There was concern about the water pressure during the fire but Fife Fire & Rescue Service maintain it is satisfactory.
C. LARGO PIER
1. During the earlier part of the year there were Press Reports that the Crusoe Hotel had been the subject of an investigation by H M Revenue & Customs.
2. During the latter part of the year, the Crusoe Hotel was advertised on the open market for sale.
3. A decision was taken by the Community Council to apply to Historic Scotland to list the Largo Pier as being of architectural and historic interest in an endeavour to save the pier for the community.
4. A decision was taken by the Community Council to apply to Historic Scotland to list the Crusoe Hotel (former granary/mill) and Largo Pier as Historic Scotland indicated the inclusion of the hotel may assist in obtaining a listing.
D. POST OFFICE, LUNDIN LINKS
1. The Post Office in Lundin Links closed during the year.
2. Two of the local shops investigated the possibility of taking over the Post Office.
3. However, Post Office Limited requested the sum of £10,000/£12,000 “up front” which they could not afford.
1. There is concern about sewage in Lower Largo.
2. There are issues relating to discharge of sewage and the odour from the discharge of sewage.
3. In particular, the sewage treatment plant was not emptied over the Christmas/New Year holiday period and overflowed.
1. Alistair Paterson and Alistair Clark were co-opted to the Community Council during the year.
2. We are delighted to have them on the Community Council.
G. COMMUNITY DIARY
1. Alistair Paterson has taken on the completion of the community diary which has not been done for 2/3 years.
2. Many thanks to Alistair Paterson for all of his hard work on the community diary and to David Stacey for all of his hard work in putting the community diary on the website.
H. FLORAL DISPLAY
1. The floral display as always was much appreciated by the community.
2. Grateful thanks are due to Gail Green.
I. REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY
1. Wreaths were laid by the Chairman on behalf of Largo Area Community Council at the Remembrance Day Service for the ninth year running.
2. The Remembrance Day Service focused our thoughts on not only those who sacrificed their lives in the first and second world wars but also in the conflicts since.
1. The website of Largo Area Community Council has again proved to be an important means of communication with the community.
2. Thanks again to David Stacey for all his hard work in looking after the website.
3. Again, the website has been of particular importance in relation to the holding of public meetings by the Community Council for the benefit of the community.
1. I would like to thank the Office Bearers of the Community Council.
2. In particular, I would like to thank the Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Minute Secretary, and Planning Convener for all of their hard work and support throughout the year.
K. COMMUNITY COUNCIL
And finally, I would like to thank all of the members of the Community Council for all of their help and support throughout the year.
15 May 2017